Gender Equality Agenda at UCM
The University of Ss. Cyril and Methodius in Trnava considers the equal value of all people and equal opportunities for individuals as a fundamental principle for the development of modern education and scientific knowledge. In order to make full use of the creative potential of women and men, as well as to develop their personal ambitions, interests and talents, it is committed to providing equal opportunities for education, working conditions and recognition of work.
By applying Gender Equity in its daily life and development strategies, UCM strives to create the trust that is essential to sustaining the University as a community of free, critical thinking and creative human beings. In this sense, it creates a space that respects the personal development of individuals without gender discrimination to mobilize the University's human potential, the sustainable development of its innovative capacity and, ultimately, its overall prosperity.
Based on the Strategic Framework for Gender Equality Policy at UCM in Trnava approved by the UCM Rector's College on 14.12.2021, as a first step, the UCM Rector's standing advisory Commission for Gender Equality Agenda was created. It consists of nominees from each organizational unit of UCM. Its purpose is to guarantee and create space for the implementation of the equal opportunities policy for all female and male employees and students at UCM Trnava in sense of the Strategic Framework for Gender Equality Policy, the Plan for Implementation of Gender Equality at UCM Trnava and in the interest of fulfilling the Long-term Development Plan of UCM Trnava for the period 2021-2026.
The Commission drafted the Gender Equality Implementation Plan at the University of Ss. Cyril and Methodius in Trnava and the corresponding Action Plan for the period 2022-2025 (available on the intranet), which, after comments by the management of the faculties and the Institute, were approved by the UCM Scientific Council on 26.4.2022.
The selected objectives of the ambitious Action Plan include activities and actions such as:
- Revision of internal documents (regulations) with anchoring of zero tolerance to gender-based violence and incorporation of other aspects of the field,
- the creation of working groups in faculties to cover and address the gender equality agenda in the conditions of the faculty/institute,
- monitoring and surveys on women's representation in boards, committees, advisory bodies, work-life balance, etc.,
- educational and promotional activities for the dissemination of awareness (lectures, workshops, newsletter, social networks) among the various target groups of female employees, staff, students, and pupils, in order to prevent inappropriate behaviour, discrimination or unequal treatment,
- support for invited lectures by eminent women researchers and experts at the University.
One of the important measures is the appointment of one of the members of the committee to the role of ombudsman as a contact person in each faculty (institute) for cases of inappropriate behavior, or also suggestions for optimizing the working conditions of women in science and education.
By developing the gender equality agenda and implementing the action plan, UCM strengthens an ethical and fair working and learning environment, identifies and eliminates any form of discrimination in accordance with internationally recognized standards. It promotes the creative potential of female students and employees to avoid wasting their talents so as to direct them towards increasing the potential for quality and excellence in research and education.